Skip to main content

Nü year, Nü me

Do you ever wonder why these repetitive New Year "traditions" are deemed important and expected to be life-changing for many people?

With the slogan "New Year, New Me," many individuals seem to reset their lives and hope to become better individuals in the new year. Indeed, it's not a bad idea because we need to grow towards the positive, leaving behind things we consider negative or undesirable. Our true adversary is ourselves, along with the relentless passage of time that often makes us lose sight of ourselves. Not to be cynical, but must we wait for a new year to change one, two, three, or many habits?

This writing may sound cliché because it even happened to me. I, whose heart was touched anew write again because of the #30haribercerita writing campaign which happens routinely at the beginning of every year. I, who suddenly thought of resuming exercise after my lack of discipline became my top character in 2023. I, who envisioned spending time reading books and stories I love because I realized the need to train my focus after experiencing an easily distracted syndrome caused by short videos and information storms on social media. I, who currently believe that I can "restart" my life from now on.

I repeat my question, this time for myself: must we wait for a new year to change one, two, three, or many habits? One new year, is it reliable enough to be expected to make more than one change? 

Sometimes momentum is indeed important, but should we wait for a full 365 days? This question is certainly risky to those who dream about self-improvement. The worst case is that their willingness may break, the self-improvement doesn't happen. Then, one has to wait for another 365 days, precisely 366 days, more to make it happen. Even, not yet making it happen, just having a start --a freaking start. In this case, I would say that depending life-changing event on New Year's momentum is not worth it.

Imagine, to find a turning point for becoming a better individual, someone must wait 365 days. Meanwhile, the improvement that the person hopes for stops at only one month or even in just a matter of days. Because the energy they have for discipline and commitment is shattered by the skeptical remark of an irresponsible post that underestimates New Year's stuff. 

Comments